PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
“Much of my practice locates itself around an intersection of art and chess – specifically, the intersection drawn together by the work and ideas of Marcel Duchamp. As exemplified by Duchamp, both art and chess can be considered in terms of their retinal and non-retinal characteristics. Where the art in ones head can exert its influence over the art before ones eyes, a similar paradigm can be considered in chess. Here, the physical material acts as a visible marker or placeholder for the immaterial development of the game, as played out within the constraining structure of chess; a thought-space shared between opponents.
The set I have designed aims to accentuate this retinal aspect of chess, with the pieces defined by the two primary types of photoreceptor cells found in the eye – cones and rods. As the game progresses the pieces are scattered into disordered configurations and combinations, before being reset into spectral sequence and tonal rank.”
- Hand-painted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, leather
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Painted Pieces’
- Chess board 45 x 45 cm (18” x 18”), weight 2 kg (4.4 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 5.2 kg (11.5 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is now sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.