PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
This 1 of 1 chess set by renowned Bristol-based street artist Sickboy features a surreal, eccentric combination of his signature motifs and patterns. In order to create his creative, eye-catching composition, Sickboy has used a bold, neon colour palette and a variety of techniques, including spinning the chess pieces on a turntable whilst spray painting them, stencils and intricate brush work.
“I wanted to create a comic abstraction of my canvas works that could be applied to a 3 dimensional piece. To me, aside from chess being a game, there is artistry and message in the sculptural elements of the pieces. I am aware that whilst playing the game, the position of the pieces constantly changes. I see the individual pieces such as the king, queen and pawn as moving ‘highlights’ on a 2 dimensional painting. Combining both 3 and 2 dimensional elements for my work ‘Table of Contents’ has been an exciting and interesting process.”
- Signed, hand-painted 1 of 1
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather, 18 carat gold
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Italian Nappa leather felts with 18 carat gold embossed Purling logos
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This Art Chess set is currently on display at the ‘Radiant Gambit: Keith Haring and His Legacy’ Exhibition at World Chess Hall of Fame, St. Louis until May 2021. Please enquire via our contact form to enquire and pre-order it for delivery in May/June 2021.