PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
This chess board by Nette Robinson is inspired by a 1930s Soviet porcelain propaganda chess set “Reds v Whites” designed by sculptor Natalya Danko (1892-1942) and plays Communists verses Capitalists. The board was specially created to display the rare chess set at Christie’s for its Important Russian Art Sale. Following the successful sale of the antique chess pieces, Nette Robinson created her own pieces, utilising the colours from the chess board, in order to complete this Art Chess set. She wanted it to look classic, regal and Russian.
For more information about this Bespoke Art Chess board, see our news story about Christie’s Important Russian Art Sale.
- Hand-painted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, Italian Nappa leather, 18 carat gold
- Chess Board exhibited at Christie’s auction house London
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Square size 5.6 cm (approx. 2.2″) (playable area 45 x 45 cm)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Italian Nappa leather felts with 18 carat gold embossed Purling logos
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded packaging
- Hand-made in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping