PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Nette Robinson is a chess player, professional jazz singer and artist. Modernist movements such as Constructivism, Futurism and De Stijl have been hugely influential throughout her artistic development. She is drawn to works with clean lines, geometric shapes and strong tonal and colour contrasts. This is evident in many of her works, including her unique paintings depicting famous master chess games that were exhibited at her solo show 2014 in Mayfair. She studied Fine Art with Music at Chichester, graduating in 2002, and from this time has been exhibiting in solo and group exhibitions.
“Russia, and in particular, Russian architecture, provided the inspiration for my second chess set. Arguably, the most iconic building in Russia is the beautiful and fantastical St Basil’s Cathedral on Red Square in Moscow. This wonderful and colourful building represents the Black pieces. The White pieces for my chess set are based on another stunning piece of architecture to be found in Moscow, the exquisite white and gold-domed cathedral, Christ the Saviour.”
- Hand-painted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Boxwood, maple, acrylic paint, modelling clay, lacquer, leather
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is now sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.