PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
“When I was invited to create a chess set for this exhibition, I decided to paint one with a message. I settled on the subject of the oceans, which is particularly topical now. There are so many damning reports and assessments appearing about the damage caused by such things as plastic pollution, climate change and rising sea temperatures, resulting in the decimation of marine life and the bleaching of corals. The white pieces represent these fading corals and the opposing pieces are painted to represent the seas, contaminated with fragments of plastic. The alternating light and dark squares of my chess board show both clear seas and the darker polluted waters.
However, I also wanted my chess set to look beautiful, (as well as to be playable.) These issues of pollution and climate change are terrible and more than concerning, but on this planet and in nature there is great beauty. Therefore, my chess set shows both the “spoiling” factors, such as plastic debris and the wonderful “spoils“- the jewel-like corals, (which despite the bleaching, are still exquisite,) as beautiful.
It is serendipitous that the word “spoil” contains another pollutant that has wrought havoc on the seas, beaches and sea life, and which I have illustrated on many of the dark squares, and that is oil.”
- Hand-painted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Painted Pieces’
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is now sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.