PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
ANGEL ORTIZ AKA: LA2
LA2/LAROC is the tag of a graffiti extraordinaire from the Lower East Side of New York City. His tags can be found all around the city and are always a part of his creations. In his early teens, LA2 befriended Keith Haring, an up-and-coming artist, who was attending The School of Visual Arts in NYC. Interpreting LA2’s thick intermingling contours as completely original homage to ancient eastern calligraphy, Haring was determined to find the person behind the tag. After he did, the two collaborated for six years, influencing each other’s work.
“I just love colors… I love the rich blend of gold and black. I wanted a good drip, therefore, with a thick white marker, I did a nice heavy tag. And then let it all drip. I knew it’d pop out. I want the chess pieces to be beautiful, so whoever plays chess with it can also enjoy my creation.”
- Signed, hand-painted 1 of 1
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, acrylic spray paint, lacquer, Italian Nappa leather, 18 carat gold
- Exhibited at World Chess Hall of Fame ‘Keith Haring Radiant Gambit’ November 2020 – May 2021
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Italian Nappa leather felts with 18 carat gold embossed Purling logos
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Unique Purling bracket enables this chess board to hang on the wall as a painting for display and storage, and ‘float’ above the table when in play
- Purling London branded packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping