PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these objets d’art have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
The KHAMAMA ‘Morpho’ features butterfly wings of the Madagascan Sunset Moth and the butterfly species Morpho didius, also called the Giant Blue Morpho, due to its great wing span. The iridescent blue Morpho butterfly is native to the rainforests of Peru and contrasted by the colourfully golden sparkling butterfly wings of the Madagascan Sunset Moth. The wings used for this art work are from a sustainable butterfly farm. The art of creating such marquetry with butterfly wings is called “Haute Art de Papillon”.
The precious Haute Art de Papillon panel is protected by museum-grade anti-reflective & UV-protective glass. The chessboard is made with a naturally and rarely grey striped Ebony Macassar veneer.
The South-American blue “Morho didius” butterfly species is named after the Roman emperor Didius Julianus. He was the emperor of Rome and therefore ruler of most of the ancient Western world for nine weeks from March to June 193, during the Year of the Five Emperors. Didius Julianus ascended the throne after buying it from the Praetorian Guard, who had assassinated his predecessor Pertinax.
The lavish and magnificently large Morpho didius butterflies are named after a man who was wealthy enough to buy the throne of Rome…the throne of the whole ancient Western world. Ruling over this Western world for only nine weeks his power was even more ephemeral as the life span of the magical Morpho didius butterflies who can live a maximum of up to sixteen weeks in the rainforests of Peru. The legacy behind these butterfly wings of which the chessboard is created always reminds you of the question of how long you might stay in power during your next game…
- Ethically sourced Giant Blue Morpho Butterfly wings & Madagascan Sunset Moth wings, Naturally and rarely grey striped Ebony Macassar, Museum grade glass, Boxwood, pearlescent acrylic paint, leather, 18 carat Gold
- Chess board 52 x 52 cm x 4cm depth (approx. 20 x 20 x 1.6″ depth), weight 8.5kg (19lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, solid Ebony & Boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 11.3 kg (25 lb)
- Chess pieces hand-painted in pearlescent acrylic and lacquered
- Italian Nappa leather felts with 18 carat Gold embossed Purling logos
- Signed certificate of authenticity
- Complimentary express global shipping
- Hand-made in England
This artwork is in stock. Please contact us to enquire about purchase.
Learn more about how to commission a bespoke game HERE.