PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these objets d’art have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
The KHAMAMA ‘Morpho’ features butterfly wings of the species Morpho didius, also called the giant blue morpho, due to its great wing span. It is contrasted by the colourful, golden sparkling wings of the Madagascan sunset moth. The iridescent giant blue morpho butterfly is native to the rainforests of Peru. The Madagascan sunset moth is regarded as the most beautiful Lepidopterans.
The wings used for this art work are from a sustainable butterfly farm. The art of creating such marquetry with butterfly wings is called “Haute Art de Papillon”.
The delicate Haute Art de Papillon panel is protected by museum-grade anti-reflective, UV-protective glass. The chessboard is made with a natural and rare grey striped Ebony Macassar veneer.
The lavish and magnificently large Morpho didius butterflies are named after the Roman emperor Didius Julianus; a man who was wealthy enough to buy the throne of Rome – in other words, the throne of the entire ancient Western world. Ruling over this Western world for only nine weeks, after which he himself was assassinated, the emperor’s power was even more ephemeral than the life span of the magical Morpho didius butterflies, who can live up to a maximum of only sixteen weeks.
The legacy behind these butterfly wings from which the chessboard is created, prompts you yourself to question how fleeting your power might be during your next game…
- Ethically sourced giant blue morpho Butterfly wings & Madagascan sunset moth wings, grey striped Ebony Macassar, Museum grade glass, boxwood, pearlescent acrylic paint, leather, 18 carat gold
- Chess board 52 x 52 cm x 4cm depth (approx. 20 x 20 x 1.6″ depth), weight 8.5kg (19lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, solid Ebony & Boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 11.3 kg (25 lb)
- Chess pieces hand-painted in pearlescent acrylic and lacquered
- Italian Nappa leather felts with 18 carat Gold embossed Purling logos
- Flight case packaging, made in England
- Signed certificate of authenticity
- Complimentary express global shipping
- Hand-made in England