PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
“My chess table is inspired by the balance between opposites. Creation and destruction. The lines as the hands of Michelangelo’s ‘La Création D’Adam’ from opposite sides nearly touch each other and maintain a tension, thus creating balance in the board and giving the illusion of forward movement. The pink splatters symbolise beauty of thought amid the battlefield and the colour frame paradise out of it. Both sides are black (gloss black + matt black) giving the illusion of equality between battling sides but symbolically the light of war makes them different.”
- Hand-crafted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Burnt oak, boxwood, stained glass, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Exhibited at Christie’s auction house, London
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Painted Pieces’
- Hand-crafted chess table 150 x 70 x 70 cm (approx. 59 x 27 ½ x 27 ½ “), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is in stock. Please contact us to enquire about purchase.