PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
“A glass ceiling is a metaphor used to represent an invisible barrier that keeps a given demographic (typically applied to minorities) from rising beyond a certain level in a hierarchy.’
Raychev’s ‘Glass Ceiling’ art chess installation is a commentary on the recent turbulent climate regarding exposure of sexual assaults, inequalities and suppression still so predominant, especially at the work place. Raychev’s personal experience sparked the inspiration for this art piece that she can so closely relate to. The ‘Glass Ceiling’ installation is a metaphor for women breaking through the social barriers and limitation, as well as a celebration of new feminist movements such as #metoo and #timesup. ‘Glass Ceiling’ shows that the passion and spirit for change is in its glory. It also acknowledges that a lot of blood had to be spilled to get to this stage. It reflects on the fragility of human nature, rawness of the subject and the brutal reality of what one is talking about.
The piece consists of a broken glass chess board with the chess pieces floating through/ above the board. Pink pieces represent women, and face the white spiked pieces- referencing white supremacy. The chess pieces are set according to 2012 Magnus Carlsen vs Judit Polgar game. Polgar is a chess grandmaster, generally considered the strongest female chess player of all time. The game is set in the 30th move that determined Polgar’s victory.”
- Hand-painted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, modelling clay, glass, lacquer, leather, metal hooks, nylon thread
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Painted Pieces’
- Chess board 50 x 50 cm (approx. 19.75 x 19.75″), weight 8.8 kg (19.4 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 12.4 kg (approx .27.3 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping