PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
“I wanted to create a chess set that reflects the on-going battle over scarce resources such as gold and oil. The chess pieces are painted to reflect these commodities. The added feature of pressing a button to eliminate your enemy, by setting off smoke over the board, is a representation of a chemical attack; a real and present danger in modern warfare. Gas masks are supplied for both players, to bring an added sense of realism and fuller effect of the danger. The button is to act as a dirty tactic. Either player, at any time during the game, can set off the dirty bomb as a sign of weakness and evil; if they so choose. What would it take for the player to decide the only way out is to completely extinguish the enemy with a chemical attack? This technically makes him a winner, but leaves him as a moral loser.
As competition for these finite commodities gets stronger, the potential use of dirty tactics such as chemical attacks are more likely to happen. This threatens our world peace, and deserves attention.”
- Signed, hand-made 1 of 1
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, glass, rubber, smoke machine, lacquer, leather
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Painted Pieces’, St. Louis U.S.A. April-September 2018
- Exhibited at Negocio Exhibition, Barcelona, Spain June-July 2019
- One-off chess artwork, incorporating hand-made glass cabinet, hand-built wooden frame and illuminated chess board
- Overall dimensions (HxWxD): approx. 200 x 70 x 70 cm (approx. 79 x 28 x 28″)
- Integrated smoke machine fills the chamber with a harmless white fog simulating a chemical attack
- Personal gas masks and rubber gloves included to intensify the unforgettable experience
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Purling London branded leather felts
- Hand-made in London, England
- Shipping by quotation
This artwork is in stock and for sale. Please enquire via our contact form for more information and to express your interest.