PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
CARNE GRIFFITHS is a British artist and designer who has worked in fashion, theatre, film as well as in the fine art. Carne Griffiths specialises in painting distinctive, delicately rendered artworks using tea, alcohol and ink.
“I was so excited to create this board for Purling London. I have a love for antique items and craftsmanship which I like to pair with my other passion for spontaneity and chaos. I wanted my board and pieces to keep the beautiful elements of wood grain by using staining and dyeing techniques to create each item. Using materials such as teas and alcohols I began by dip dyeing and staining the pieces in tea and ink, giving them two distinct sides which related to the four elements, Water and air or wind for one side and earth and fire for the other. The board was created by throwing liquids onto the wood and tipping the board to allow the liquids to find there random flow. I then picked out these elements by drawing on the board with fountain pen ink and in the same way continued this flow onto the hand carved pieces. This board really was a labour of love, there is something very precious about holding and creating each chess piece and giving it an individual identity.”
- Signed, hand-illustrated 1 of 1 by Carne Griffiths
- Boxwood, tea, ink, varnish, Nappa leather, 18 carat gold
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Italian Nappa leather felts with 18 carat gold embossed Purling logos
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping