PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Tahnee Lonsdale is a US-based artist, who studied Fine Art at Byam Shaw School of Art, graduating in 2007. Storytelling plays a huge part in the creation of her work, although the use of colour is what strikes you first. Solitary creatures, mundane objects and, religious iconography, are scattered across imagined scenarios.
“My chess sets refer back to a narrative I used early on in my painting practice: a lone polar bear lost in a stark forest. From a distance the chess pieces look like a series of dots and lines, much like an animal print. However, on closer inspection, little scenes of the bear and the landscape in which he is lost, reveal themselves.”
- Hand-painted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is not available. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.
Learn more about how to commission a bespoke game HERE.