PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Sophie Matisse is an internationally exhibiting artist represented by Francis Naumann Fine Art in New York. She is the great granddaughter of Henri Matisse and the step-granddaughter of Marcel Duchamp. ‘Palladium’ is one of three works by Matisse, exploring chess, colour and history and was hand-painted especially for Purling London.
“The board design for this set was inspired by the English playwright, Noël Coward and the tiled kitchen floor of his Firefly Estate in Jamaica. Here again, I gave the set a more playful tone by coloring all the pawn’s heads as if they were candy gum-balls. Chess and candy gum-balls? Hardly a customary combination! All pieces, palladium leafed, yet the pawns steal the show with their cheerfully colored tops. Noël Coward was renowned for his talent and famously for his wit, as I discovered once when I flipped open, The Sayings of Noël Coward, the first page I came to was page 59…
“[During the first World War a friend suggested that, if called up, Noël would be safest in the infantry since only one in five were killed] But you know how I am. Whenever I’m in a crowd I always pick up the check.” – New York Mirror, 1956.”
- Signed, hand-painted 1 of 1
- Palladium leaf, boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Featured in British Airways High Life Magazine with David Tennant and Michael Sheen
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar 1 of 1 design.