PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Sophie Matisse is an internationally exhibiting artist represented by Francis Naumann Fine Art in New York. She is the great granddaughter of Henri Matisse and the step-granddaughter of Marcel Duchamp. ‘Camouflage’ is one of three works by Matisse, exploring chess, colour and history and was hand-painted especially for Purling London.
“This set was inspired by the work of Alain Jacquet and his use of Camouflage in the early 60’s.
I’ve always loved how the colors, pink and grey coexist so well together. An ironic combination, though; soft and cozy alongside the grey of a rainy day. With paralleling opposites, this board sets the stage for battle while opposing pieces await to define their roles. All the 1’s on one side and all the 0’s on the other. As the game progresses, the 1’s and 0’s conjoin and the visual impact starts to take on a life of its own. Just as we see how pink and grey can coexist in harmony, imagine the day our world battles be fought exclusively on a board similar to this one, allowing for zero casualties as war and peace exist hand in hand.”
- Signed, hand-painted 1 of 1
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Painted Pieces’
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is now sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.