PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Sophie Matisse is an internationally exhibiting artist represented by Francis Naumann Fine Art in New York. She is the great granddaughter of Henri Matisse and the step-granddaughter of Marcel Duchamp. ‘Alice in Wonderland’ is one of three works by Matisse, exploring chess, colour and history and was hand-painted especially for Purling London.
“This Alice in Wonderland inspired chess set with its candy-like colors were a lot of fun to work with.
Keeping even just an air of playfulness in any battle I think is essential for self-preservation! Some of the best solutions are the simplest, a useful reminder, that even just a little magical thinking can not only save your skin, but also your soul.”
- Signed, hand-painted 1 of 1
- Gold leaf, boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Painted Pieces’
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
We welcome visits by appointment to the Purling London studio in Notting Hill, London to view and purchase our games. Alternatively, we can arrange a video call where you can personally view the board and each Art Game piece close up and ask any questions. Please get in touch via our contact form below. Kind regards, Simon and the Purling team.