PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Michelle Hold was born in Munich and grew up in Innsbruck, Austria where she began studying architecture. She has subsequently broadened her artistic horizons, studying and exploring other genres such as fine art, fashion and textiles in Paris, New York, Hong Kong, Munich and London. She has worked with important designers in the fashion business and is credited as having designed and created new materials for them. Michelle is currently living in Italy and is following her lifetime passion of creating bold works of art. She is committed to demonstrating in her work sensitivity and subtlety in colour and tone, light and space.
“Take the Challenge” and “Like Water”
“These chess sets draw influence from my new series of paintings for “Warriors of Light”, which were created for my solo show at Debut Contemporary in May 2015.
Each of the chess sets is accompanied by a sentence from bestselling author Paulo Coelho.
“A Warrior of Light has learned to deal with the challenges of the moment.”
I interpret this as taking the right decision and accepting the challenges faced as part of the learning process.
“The Warrior of Light sometimes behaves like water.”
To me the significance of this sentences is in learning to adapt to any situation just as water does.
- Signed certificate, hand-painted 1 of 1
- Boxwood, gold leaf, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is now sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.