PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Kate Brinkworth is a highly respected and internationally exhibiting British artist who graduated with a First Class Honours degree in Fine Art from Nottingham Trent University in 2000. She works predominantly in oils. Kate’s fascination with the themes of games, vice and the art of cinematography continues to provide great artistic stimulus.
“There is always that question of which influences life more, careful planning or chance and luck? Chess is a game of pure strategy and skill, whereas a game played with dice cannot be planned. Such a game relies on chance, is heavy with risk and is unpredictable. The chess pieces are painted with designs based on the dice I use in my paintings, echoing this very aspect: luck and chance vs strategy.”
- Hand-painted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Painted Pieces’
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is now sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.