PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Named in Timeout’s Top 100 most influential UK creatives 2012, Tom Bingle, aka INKIE, has emerged as one of the most prolific graffiti writers in UK history. He has painted with some of the most notorious artists in the scene, including Banksy, Nick Walker and Massive Attack’s 3D. His work has been published in books such as Banksy’s Bristol, Children of the Can, Concrete Canvas, Street Fonts, 100 European Graffiti Artists and Graffiti World. His much sought after pieces have gained a celebrity following, as well as featuring in respected magazines such as Rolling Stone, GQ and Dazed & Confused, and graffiti documentaries, including the infamous ‘Bomb It’.
Inkie’s art is characterised by a unique collaboration of graffiti and figurative imagery. His widely recognised “Ink Nouveau’ style draws on Art Nouveau influences, with an unmistakable urban twist.
“The inspiration for my chess set is iconic 1980’s film ‘Empire strikes back’ whose theme is good (Rebel Alliance) vs evil (The Imperial Empire). As a graffiti artist, I have used my style of painting for each of the pieces and the chess board.”
- Signed, hand-painted 1 of 1
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, spray paint, lacquer, leather
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is now sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.