PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Fred Mann is a prize-winning contemporary British artist who studied fine art at The University of the Arts, London. His extensive travel around the world and subsequent training in both fine art and digital media, greatly informs his continuously evolving creative work.
“My chess set was inspired by the idea of the each piece being like it’s own island, it’s own cosmos. There was something appealing to me about both sides of the chessboard being like a horde of tiny island states united against the other opponent. I wanted it to seem like each game would be like capturing land of the other and/or protecting the sovereignty of your own state. The details depict a circumferential landscape view of the island represented. The more important the piece in the set is, the more superior and asymmetrically adorned the island and details become.”
- Signed certificate, hand-painted 1 of 1
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, lacquer, leather
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is not available. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.