PURLING LONDON ART CHESS sets have been exhibited at Christie’s, Saatchi Gallery and the World Chess Hall of Fame. Many of these 1 of 1, hand-painted works have been the choice of royalty, renowned interior designers, art collectors and chess Grandmasters. Purling has collaborated with over thirty artists, including Sophie Matisse, Mr. Doodle and Thierry Noir. Every Art Chess set is hand-finished in London, England and can be made bespoke to your wishes.
Raytchev’s art offers a rare subjective expression and perception of the world through her figurative and abstract drawings. Much of her works are visual interpretations of the physiological and physical effects of addictions and abuse. Daniela has a wealth of artistic experience and techniques including painting, textiles and sculpture. She studied at the prestigious Central St. Martins and London College of Fashion.
“The chess set name ‘Addictions’ is about the inner conflict between the negative destructive self and the toxic crutches we may hold on to as a result of fear and anxiety (Black pieces) against the self which is loving, positive and nurturing (White pieces).
Each tall black piece illustrates different addiction, ranging from alcohol, drugs, food to shopping, relationships and others. Guarded by spiked pawns that create a wall, uncomfortable barrier from the other world that can be seen. If we remove those, as illustrated on white tall pieces by delicate paintings of everyday objects and sceneries we encounter, we can notice all the little things that make our lives happier and richer.
Both kings are the same, white with spikes, a metaphor to express that people are primarily good, addiction is just an illness they may suffer, that may influence their actions but doesn’t make them bad. You can only win by accepting yourself as a whole.”
- Hand-painted 1 of 1 with signed certificate
- Boxwood, acrylic paint, modelling clay, lacquer, leather
- Exhibited at the World Chess Hall of Fame’s ‘Ladies’ Knight’
- Chess board 55 x 55 cm (approx. 22 x 22″), weight 3kg (6.6 lb)
- Chess pieces 34 hand-carved, triple-weighted, boxwood
- King height 10.2 cm (4″), weight 75 g (approx. 2.65 oz)
- Weight of boxed set including pieces and board 6.6 kg (approx. 14.6 lb)
- Purling London branded leather felts and packaging
- Hand-finished in London, England
- Complimentary express global shipping
This artwork is now sold. Please contact us to enquire about commissioning a similar design.